Friday, November 16, 2012

Roller derby names



Due to my thespian side one of my favorite parts of roller derby is the tradition of roller derby names.
I love to put on a character! But i don't think of Verruca Assault as being a different person then Zoe I just think of her as 100% Zoe plus more. So many newbies come to practice with out a name not really "getting" the point of these stage names, but with most by the end of there first month there being called Slam Cake or PinaKillada or even something simple like Evanna Jam. A Lot of leagues nowadays are opting out of names feeling that they want to be taken as serious athletes. They think that this goofy tradition is prohibiting them from doing so. Although i respect there right to do so I would never get rid of having a name! It would be like changing my identity! If you Choose to Have a derby name here are some guidelines on how to choose one. Aswell as some information on Opting out of derby names.


 
HOW TO CHOOSE A NAME
 * A roller derby name should be something witty, tough, and funny there is no right way to come up with a name but I can give you a few guidelines!
 
  * Some of my favorite names are ones that play off of famous people or characters. like mine Verruca Assault which plays off of the character Verruca Salt from the children's book Charlie and the Chocolate factory, or my teammate Loretta Limb hers is a homage to the country artist Loretta Lynn.
 
  * Another way is to think of words that you can break up to have another meaning. You could use the word tsunami and be Sue-nami or elemental could be Ellie-Mental.
 
   * A lot of people like to use "hard" or "tough" words when they come up with names like kill, slam, or pound.
 
  * Your name doesn't have to be linked to your real name! you could be Sue-Namee even if your real name is Angelica!
 
  * Your name doesn't have to mean anything it can just mean... you.
 
  * Your name doesn't have to be permanent. Even I haven't always been Verruca (Yes i used to be a Quick wit!) so don't stress it! Its supposed to be fun!
 
  * You don't even have to have a name a lot of leagues are opting out of derby names now just to go by their legal names!
 
OPTING OUT OF A DERBY NAME
 
In 2009 some roller derby girls began giving up derby names, choosing to compete under there legal names rather than stage names. Some examples are Team Legit, a pick up team of "star skater" from the northwestern USA flat track leagues. Also in 2010, Race City Roller Derby of Charlotte, NC announced that all of its players would compete using legal names. Not to mention many more leagues and individuals in the recent years. Unless you league says what you have to do one way or another, choosing to have a derby name or to opt out is up to you.
 
 
RECOURSE'S
 
 
There a couple of website that have derby name generators. I Advise you to not use a name from one of these, unless you find one you really like. it just takes some of the fun out of it. I think they are mostly silly and a fun ways to get your mind thinking!
 
Fresh Meat Name Generator

Mia Psycho's Roller Derby Name Generator


Another website you need to check out is the International Rollergirls' Master Roster it has all the names from all the leagues. Even though I hear that it can be a little unreliable I still check here before I pick a name. (unfortunately it doesn't include Junior teams).
 
 
 
 
NUMBERS
 
Im not going to say much about numbers just a quick tid bit. If your league allows you to choose your number a good way that is interesting is police codes. This is how I chose my number (the police code for assault) and you can find these all over the world wide inter web!
 
 
 
 
 
Alright guys thanks for reading my post on Roller derby names! I hope it helped you! Please share my blog with you derby sisters! and as always comment and follow! if you have any requests make sure to tell me and I will try to write it for you!
 
 
- Verruca Assault
 
 
Like me on Facebook! Do Derby Facebook Page
 
Email me at 2DerbyGirls@gmail.com
 





3 comments:

  1. Just found your post while using Google for derby name help. You have good advice. I'm having a hard time coming up with a name so hopefully your tips will help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely written. Thanks for taking the time to discuss about this topic.

    Kind Regards,

    James Amparan
    Roller Derby Names

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 14 from Las Vegas I was in the Sin City Junior Rollers now I am in Vegas Extra Terrestrial Skaters. They are a new up and coming team. You can check them out on Facebook. My derby name is DEATH STARR and my number is 16 I've been wanting to change it but the new team has known me for so long they won't let me and my current number is on my helmet. I do Flat track roller derby. I'm possibly thinking of changing my number to actually mean something like death with my name. Could you find a police code involving death or murder? I've been doing derby for two years now. I started in 2016. I used to skate with Sin City Junior Rollers and at first they weren't co-ed and now they are. I also cannot decifer rather or not to switch back to my old team or stay. The only reasons are because they treat me disrespectfully and do not treat me like I am a Vet on the new team hence on the other team they treat me equally the same as a vet and a skater. I have very few to actualy call my friends. While on the other team I have no friend, but derby is not just about making friends it's also having fun which i do not have fun on the V.E.T.S because of how lowly they treat me and I am not able to teach the other skaters.

    ReplyDelete